Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp La Criolla ground cumin
- 1 tsp La Criolla ground black pepper
- 1 tsp La Criolla ground cloves
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 piece refrigerated piecrust dough
- 2 Granny smith apples
- (12 ounces), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. La Criolla honey
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup La Criolla cinnamon with sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water, apple juice, rice vinegar, brown sugar, honey, cumin, black pepper, and cloves.
- Cook over medium heat until syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. Press dough into a 9” fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- In a medium bowl, toss sliced apples with lemon juice and thyme.
- Arrange slices in a single layer in prepared tart pan. Sprinkle cinnamon with sugar over apples and dot with butter.
- Bake in center of oven until golden, about 50 minutes.
- Carefully brush apples with syrup and bake until glazed, about 15 minutes more. Let cool slightly.
- Cut into wedges and serve with remaining syrup.