Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (may substitute any protein you like)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. La Criolla Fajita Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. La Criolla Adobo (any variety)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole-wheat flour or corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat the broiler. Put chicken breasts in a shallow nonaluminum dish and sprinkle with lime juice and spices. Let marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together cilantro and jalapeño in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken and onions on a lightly oiled baking sheet and broil for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken and stir onion. Broil until the chicken is no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil and place on the rack below the baking sheet.
- To assemble fajitas, thinly slice the chicken. Fill each tortilla with the chicken, onions, lettuce and tomato slices. Top with La Criolla dip (http://lacriolla.com/all-recipes/la-criolla-dip/) and roll up the tortilla and filling. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To heat tortillas:
- Microwave: Wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Oven: Wrap in foil and bake at 300ºF until steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Steamer: Wrap a stack of 12 tortillas in a clean, heavy towel, place in a steamer over 1/2 inch of water, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When steam is released, time 1 minute, then remove from the heat and let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Held in a very low oven, the tortillas will stay warm and moist for an hour or more.